Monday, April 20, 2009

Questions about braces and wisdom teeth, please help!?

i just had braces put on last week and my orthodontist said i would need to have my wisdom teeth on my lower jaw extracted when they come through the gum cos they%26#039;re growing sideways. my question is, is it really necessary? i%26#039;m also afraid that they will be embedded in the gum. how would i know if and when they come through the gum? would i feel pain? even if i don%26#039;t feel any pain, would i still need to have them extracted? another question is, am i making a mistake of wearing braces now as my wisdom teeth are not fully grown yet? i%26#039;m afraid the wisdom teeth will affect the straightening process.... the wisdom teeth on my upper jaw have come through the gum but not fully developed. i could feel one of them not being aligned with the rest of the teeth. no bracket has been placed on that tooth. will that tooth be aligned with the rest of my teeth? and if so, what would be done? i wonder if i would have 2 wear braces much longer just because i have 2 wait 4 my wisdom teeth to fully grow??

Questions about braces and wisdom teeth, please help!?
Yes, it%26#039;s necessary. Your wisdom teeth may grow in straight, but the roots are not. They will mess up your teeth after your braces come off and you%26#039;ll have to do it all over again. As long as you never eat anything they tell you not to, and your braces don%26#039;t mess up, you%26#039;ll be fine. I have all 4 of my wisdom teeth and I%26#039;ve had my braces for 6 months now. My orthodontist told me that afterwards they will pull my wisdom teeth, and as long as I wear my retainer like I%26#039;m supposed to, then my teeth will be fine. You won%26#039;t have to wear your braces longer because of wisdom teeth. Many people don%26#039;t get theirs til later in life, but some get them earlier.
Reply:the wisdom teeth will need to come out for two reasons:


1 they will push your straightened teeth out of alignment if not removed.


2 they will cause discomfort to you because they are what is called %26quot;impacted%26quot; (not growing in straight and correct)





You will know when those teeth come in because you will experience soreness and tenderness in your gums in that area. If they are growing sideways, you will also feel them scraping your cheeks possibly. Since you are on a long term dental care plan (orthodontic care will last at least 4 years after removal of braces) your orthodontist will monitor the growth of your wisdom teeth and have them removed at the proper time. This will also ensure that what work has been done to straighten your teeth will not be ruined by these teeth coming in.





Be proud, take care of your teeth and hang in there, it%26#039;s all worht it for the beautiful smile you will have in no time!!!



flirt

No comments:

Post a Comment